Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Magic of Music

Music.. not just a bunch of words arranged melodiously, but an entertainment experience that is unique to each person. Some songs that appeal strongly to one's thoughts and persona, can grow on you to mean much more. Eventually, songs get associated with sparking innumerable memories and emotions. I'd been reading about human memory and different senses can serve as stimuli to memory - hearing, smell and of course, sight. I remember my friend stating in class, that the whiff of hot tea immediately reminds her of one time she and her mom were having this tea on the porch. But for me, hearing is the strongest one.

So, here is a list of some of my favorite songs back then, which when I come across, take me down memory lane...

1. Viva Forever - Spice Girls
Strong melody which rips through 10+ years to when I heard it first as a kid. strangely painful lyrics.

2. I don't wanna miss a thing - Aerosmith (Soundtrack of movie-Armageddon)
My phase in childhood where I was star-struck by movies involving NASA outer-space missions and idolized astronauts for their bravery.

3. Going under - Evanescence
Rebelling against the person you expected to be your strength, but who instead, breaks you with his patronizing, making you lonelier than before...

I was into goth rock briefly when I was cajoled into being a member of 'Bombay Rockers Association' back in Mumbai. They promoted decent gigs around town but seriously, the guys seemed to sneak a chuckle out of the acronym it formed :-/

4. Chandni Raatein - Bally Sagoo
The sweet bliss of new love..

5. Bailamos - Enrique Iglesias
The days of auditions for VJTI fests and this song used to be eternally on my 'wishlist' to do some smoldering salsa on ;) those auditions used to be much fun!
Recent addition to my wishlist dance songs - 'Telephone' - Lady Gaga, Beyonce. Catch the 'So you think you can dance' performance by Lauren on this song if you haven't already!

6. Mama told me - Ek Ajnabee
The hat-and-stick act and some fun time coining the girl gang 'Death Angels' :P (courtesy Annie)

7. Love to see you cry - Enrique
The days of cassette players, secondary school and the joy of owning my first English mix songs cassette :D

8. Dooba dooba - Silk route
Running back home after school to sit in front of the tv, switching on MTv or Channel [V] (which replaced Cartoon Network) and lazily having lunch. This was one of the songs that always came up.

9. I want it that way - Backstreet boys
The Pop craze and also for boys with chocolaty-good looks :P

10. My heart will go on - Celine Dion
Again, the days of VCR and movie cassettes. Titanic being longer than an average English movie, it had 2 cassettes instead of the usual one. My dad loves to equip our home with state-of-the-art electronics so we also had a surround sound system (disadvantage - 2,3 remote controls. universal remotes were not around yet) and neighbors were invited for watching it along with us. Amazing experience... cried till my head hurt! yeah m a sucker for emotional endings :P

This is just a subset of the mannny more songs I like, that came to my mind today. I like to share collections with friends and try and adopt to various genres. My Italian friend was into Pearl Jam a lot.. but that one..erm..didnt catch on to me.


P.S. I know this may not be one of my best writings.. but just something as fodder for your thought and to get my creativity flowing..

4 comments:

  1. Nicely written! The blog conveys the sentiment really well :)
    My all time favs for inspiration: Be Yourself (Chris Cornell), Speed of Sound (Coldplay), Main Kya Hoon (Love Aaj Kal)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey thanx sukalp! I like ur faves :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Sukalp,
    You forgot Lollipop :P

    @Mona,
    I have written soooooo many posts about songs, its like its one thesis more than a list :D

    Lovely change of template! Me likes! :)

    Cheers,
    Annie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @annie, yeah I have been a fan of your music posts now.. especially the 'best riffs of all time'.. great collection!

    @nirmal, great to see you visit my blog... do keep coming :)

    ReplyDelete