Thursday, March 4, 2010

Random Musings...

I have decided to continue the Dead-Week story later in the interest of public good :D It'll probably appear by the time I reach Dead Week in Spring... think it'll will pose a good contrast read ... :)

This last two weeks have been pretty eventful. I went to a temple for the very first time after arriving in the USA in about 8 months.. Swaminarayan Temple here in Atlanta. Apart from the fact that our elders have cultured us to pray to god once in a while, I was at a stage where divine intervention was really needed to pass the day! (trust me... the people who say doin master's is easy have either NOT been in Georgia Tech or HAVE been in VJTI masters program :P )

So we started off in the bus arranged for us by the India Club @ Georgia Tech fellows and it felt like goin on a mini-picnic with Ankur & Ankur :P and also.. Saurabh. It was quite far .. about half an hour drive; and one of those rare days where I had dragged myself out of bed at 8 am and admired myself at my dedication!


It was, as you can see, beautiful! But more importantly... serene... which is what I adore and something that temples in India never seem to be. I wish they kept temples back home a tad more cleaner :( Anyway, coming back...We had happened to reach a little too early and were not allowed inside until half an hour later. It was totally worth the wait..

It was the most mesmerizing sight :O Exquisite high quality marble carvings with an amazing arrangement of lights accentuating the designs and intricacies. What held my breath (i swear.. I could literally feel drawn to it..) was the central dome, in which, small budding petals seemed to be blossoming out of the buds and epitomizing beauty. All this.. in freakkin' white marble!

#Disclaimer: This picture is not by me as photography inside is prohibited. I just nicked it from the net to try to give you a glimpse into just how beautiful it was!


The main Swaminarayan 'moorti' was situated inside a sparkling gold 'makhar'. This was revealed only during an 8-minute 'aarti' time and some Indian prayers felt so enchanting on my ears.. Along with it, I prayed for all my mom dad, my loved ones and my career. (Bhagwaan...internship dilaado!! ) :D

What's a trip to a temple in India without Indian snacks adjoining it?? We feasted on dhokla, samosa aaaaaaaaand......wait for it.............sugarcane juice!! mmwwahh.. i cant believe how much I'd missed it! And after a quick lil shopping of some "chutney" and "ratlami sev", headed back... God bless....

2 comments:

  1. I am SOOOO jealous of you! Not for the mandir visit, but for the SUGARCANE JUICE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME!!!!!I am so proud of you!!!!ok i don't really know why but i am..:P

    Ohh and thanx so much for praying for me!!!:) you are so sweet!!!!

    Love,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete